mooncake - traditional food for Mid Autumn Festival

Give reviews and locations of different restaurants and the foods and drinks from around the world. Also share recipes or cooking and brewing techniques of different foods, wine, beer etc.
kaka135
Malaysia

mooncake - traditional food for Mid Autumn Festival

Postby kaka135 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:26 pm

It's 4 October 2017 here, and it's considered a big festival for Chinese today which is Mid-Autumn Festival. It falls on the fifteenth day of the eighth month in Lunar Calendar. Some of us call it mooncake festival, as the main food we use to celebrate this festival is mooncake. It's a type of food with some fillings, such as red bean paste, green bean paste.

Have you eaten mooncake before?

(image credit: pixabay)

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Re: mooncake - traditional food for Mid Autumn Festival

Postby Alexandoy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:00 am

Mooncake is one of my favorite Chinese pastries. We used to receive mooncake from our Chinese friends but not anymore. Mind you, mooncake is expensive because it is very nutritious with the salted eggs, lotus seeds and watermelon seeds. Our Chinese friends believe that mooncake in the home drives away bad luck.

Heatman
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Heatman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:02 am

Wow, I'm already salivating from just looking at the pictures of these tasty and yummy looking moon cake. I have read somewhere that it's mainly a Chinese snack but believe me I wouldn't really mind which one it is. I just care about having a taste of it and feeling exactly how it tastes.

The problem is that I haven't really seen it here in Nigeria in most shopping mall or eateries that I have ever being to. But from now henceforth, I would be on the lookout for it because the snack is just too tasty and yummy to resist.

wallet
Romania

Postby wallet » Sun May 13, 2018 5:37 am

The mooncake looks delicious and I am sure that the inside tastes great, unfortunately, I have never eaten the mooncake. We do not have a special cake here for festivals, and when a party is going there is a mix of sweets served with ice cream, cakes, candy's, etc.

kaka135
Malaysia

Postby kaka135 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:19 am

Alexandoy wrote:Mooncake is one of my favorite Chinese pastries. We used to receive mooncake from our Chinese friends but not anymore. Mind you, mooncake is expensive because it is very nutritious with the salted eggs, lotus seeds and watermelon seeds. Our Chinese friends believe that mooncake in the home drives away bad luck.

Yes, I think the mooncakes are very expensive too. I tried to make my own mooncakes last year, though with the packaged fillings, they are cheaper. I will try to make everything from scratch this year or perhaps next year, so they are healthier and maybe cheaper, though it will certainly be more work. My kids enjoyed making the mooncakes with me. I think most of the mooncakes selling outside are too sweet.

I didn't know mooncakes drive away bad luck, I didn't hear of that before.

Folk Artist
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Zodiac: Aquarius
United States of America

Postby Folk Artist » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:42 pm

I have never eaten one of these mooncakes- but it is traditionally eaten during the Mid-Autumn Festival(China) and this festival is for lunar appreciation and moon watching. These pies are considered a real delicacy as well, and the original and most luxurious mooncakes are made with Lotus seed paste filling.

Kakashi2020
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Philippines

Postby Kakashi2020 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:26 pm

Moon Cake is a Traditional Chinese Pastry which is served during special occassions and festivals. It's being sold in Chinese delis all year round and some people like it while others dont. I've tried a lot of variants and I really don't like it. I think it has an acquired taste. It looks good but there's something about the taste that I really don't like.

dottie
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Philippines

Postby dottie » Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:45 am

I haven't tasted mooncake yet, but I am open to tasting it since the ingredients are so unique, I wonder if I would like it.

Return to “Foods & Drinks”