Eating Dog Meat?

Share and explain the culture and traditions of your country/region or any other place you've been to. Also post any questions you have.
wallet
Romania

Re: Eating Dog Meat?

Postby wallet » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:44 am

I know there are cultures that eat meat dog or cat meat, worms, rats etc. I would never eat meat dog or the other ones I have mentioned before. I do eat pig, cow, chicken, goat and sheep meat. I do respect the other cultures traditions and dishes but I could not follow them.

pandooh
Philippines

Postby pandooh » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:07 am

I have watched a prank before about this one and it intrigued me. I looked it up if it's okay to eat it. There are some legit explanations, anyway that it is somehow not dangerous to humans. That these are just foods that are leftovers, from what I remember that were just made to be a food for the animals.

Juliemonkey
Philippines

Postby Juliemonkey » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:18 am

There are parts here in the Philippines where people eat dog meat as a tradition. It is illegal here yet many people still eats dog meat. Many of them pay high prices just to eat one. There are rumors here that says the dogpounds here sell the unclaimed dogs to people who wants to eat them.

Henrywrites
Nigeria

Postby Henrywrites » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:45 am

In our climes, there are sets of people that eat dog while some others feel that it is not right to eat dog. For instance, my mom comes from a place where eating dog meat is part of the best meat you can enjoy there while the place my dad was born does not enjoy taking dog meat. I ate dog meat once and liked it and since then, I have been eating dog meat for it is one meat that we enjoy in Nigeria.

fern2x2001
Philippines

Postby fern2x2001 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:40 am

I believe some countries still continue on eating dog meat. And their culture and laws enables them to continue to practice it. I don't know about the international law about eating dog meat but if there's none about doing the practice, then we cannot do anything about it. It's just like two place having different culture like one is eating apple including it's skin and the other is not. And the other is eating sweet potato including it's skin and the other is not. We can't really say the other is right or wrong unless we have a law about it.

Heatman
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Heatman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:43 am

jeremydeth wrote:I recently say a video on Youtube about people eating dogs. Is this a tradition shared with alot of countries or just with a few ...like in China. Here is the video that I saw. "Dining on Dogs in Yulin: VICE Reports (Part 1/2)"

It's not just in China that such act is practiced, in truth it's done as well here in Nigeria. At first, I find it repugnant because I classified dogs as pets and not eating animal. Several states in Nigeria do enjoy eating dog meat. Some of the states are Akwa Ibom, Calabar, Enugu (Nkanu, Amechi, Udi), Rivers, and Ebonyi state.

All these states take pleasure in consuming dog meat, in fact it's a tradition for them. Almost every individual in the state eat the meat. I never had an experience with such until I visited Akwa Ibom state, there and then was I introduced to the meat and I actually ate it, I would be honest. It was very tasty.

Although, I haven't made any habit of getting addicted to eating dog meat but I'm not making any promises of not eating it again should the opportunity present itself.

TingJ
Philippines

Postby TingJ » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:35 pm

Oh! I personally pity for dogs being slaughtered for human consumption. I am a dog lover and my heart is squeezed whenever I heard this kind of news. Well, I could not blame those people who do that in due respect with their culture. :cry:

DR KOKIL AGARWAL
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
India

Postby DR KOKIL AGARWAL » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:51 pm

I'm a pure vegetarian, so quite obviously I will not support eating any kind of flesh. Still I live in a company of people who eat a lot of meat. This mainly includes mutton and chicken. But, as far as eating a dog is concerned, it is not acceptable in my country. With due respect to all, I would say that dogs are not considered as a respectful animal. Eating its fleash will definitely be considered as unholy.

Kakashi2020
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Philippines

Postby Kakashi2020 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:55 am

Im against eating dogs because I'm a dog lover and also because dogs are intelligent animals that has feelings, killing and eating them is barbaric to me.

Although admittedly in our country's culture the slaughter and eating of dogs are practiced more so in the northern regions of the Philippines. In the 1900's up until 20 years ago Dogs can be seen as a daily fare, being sold at restaurants and markets along with chicken, pork and beef dishes in some of our provinces, it took a new law implemented 20 years ago to stop this practice. Now butchering and selling dog meat is illegal but people still do it covertly.

Heatman
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Heatman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:11 am

Over here in Nigeria, there are about 4 or 5 states that it's their eating culture when it comes to dog meat. They literally use it as a welcoming meal to their guests. There was this particular state I went to for a professional program and I discovered that dog meat is their favorite meat. It was very disgusting seeing them eat pet meat, I really felt sorry for the dogs in that state.

Return to “Culture & Traditions”